Thursday, January 30, 2014

Minion Mittens



Snow day in South Carolina requires some cute snow gear! I made the minion hat a few weeks ago. I have not crocheted many hats, so I purchased this pattern from Simply2Irresistable.  I found her through Ravelry. But, since we were expecting snow and one of Jacob's gloves apparently ran off with some of his socks, he needed some mittens.  I didn't want to purchase another pattern and decided to have some confidence in my abilities to alter a pattern. This pattern...


http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/109505.aspx
 
I have tried to figure out a way to contact the creator of this pattern, so I could share my altered pattern below.  I will share my version here and just post a comment with a link, on the pattern above. If I'm violating any rules of sharing her pattern, I'll make the appropriate adjustments.  The pattern above is for three sizes, the smallest being preschool.  I reviewed and turned it into a toddler size pattern that fits my Jacob.  He is 2, will be turning three next week.  It may help to be able to try the work in progress on your own child, or have hand measurements when making.  One can adjust with adding or decreasing rows. 
 
 
Toddler Minion Mittens
 
 
Size G, 4 mm hook
Worsted weight yarn. For the minion, I used blue, yellow, black, brown, gray and white.
 
sc = single crochet
sl st = slip stitch
sc dec = single crochet in two stitches, pulling yarn through three hoops on hook. Decrease stitch.
hdc = half double crochet

"The back bump
This is also known as the back, backside, or butt of a chain stitch.  This is the part of the chain stitch that is opposite of the two loops (the ones that form the "v") that you would normally insert your hook under.  In other words, if you turn the chain upside down, so that you are looking at the bottom of it, you will see a line of dashes.  It is under each dash, that you would insert your hook if you were instructed to crochet into the back bump of each chain stitch." Copied from Mrs. Murdock's Mittens Pattern.


The Wrist Ribbing:

Chain 6

Foundation Row 1 -- Make 1 sc st into the back bump of the 2nd ch from hook, make 1 sc st into the remaining 5. (Copied from Mrs. Murdock's Mittens Pattern.)

Row 2 -- Turn, ch 1 (this is a turning chain, do not count as a stitch), 1 sc into the back loop on each st across. 6 stitches.

Repeat this row until you have the desired length to fit around your toddler's wrist.  I made 19 rows, not counting the foundation row.

The Mitten:

I worked these single crochets under both the front loop and back loop to prevent a line appearing around the mitten.

Round 1--Make 23 sc sts, equally spaced, around top edge of ribbing.  Sl st into beginning sc, chain 1.

Round 2--1 sc into each of the next 10 sts, 2 sc into the next st, 1 sc into each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc into the next st, 1 sc into each of the next 9. Sl st into beginning sc, chain 1. (25 sts)

Round 3--1 sc into each st around. Sl st into beginning sc, chain 1. (25 sts)

Round 4--1 sc into each of the next 11 sts, 2 sc into the next st, 1 sc into each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc into the next st, 1 sc into each of the next 10 sts.  Sl st into beginning sc, chain 1. (27 sts)

Round 5--1 sc into each st around. Sl st into beginning sc, chain 1. (27 sts)

(**Note--The first 5 rounds were copied from Mrs. Murdock's Mittens Pattern. My only addition was the slip stitch into beginning sc and chain 1. Not sure if that addition is necessary, but I did it and happy with look of mitten. If you have more experience, you may think her way of just continuing the sc stitches to work better.)

Round 6--1 sc into each of the next 12. 2 sc into 1 st, 1 sc into each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc into 1 st. Then sc into next 11.  Sl st into beginning sc, chain 1. (29 sts)

Round 7--1 sc into 5 sts, 2 sc into 1 st, 1 sc into 4 sts. Skip 8 sc stitches. 1 sc into next 5, 2 sc into 1 st, and 1 sc into next 5. Sl st into beginning sc, chain 1. (23 sts)

If you are like me, a visual helps. This is your thumb hole.

 Round 8--1 sc into 23 sts. Sl st into beginning sc, chain 1.

Round 9--Attach Black yarn and 1 sc into each of the 23 sts. Sl st into beginning sc, chain 1. (I use this method for attaching yarn colors.)

Round 10--Continue with black yarn and 1 sc into 23 sts. Sl st into beginning sc, chain 1.

Round 11--Attach yellow. 1 sc into 23 sts. Sl st into beginning sc, chain 1.

Round 12--Continue with yellow and 1 sc into 23 sts. Sl st into beginning sc, chain 1. (23 sts)

Round 13--(1 sc into each of the next 6 sts, sc dec) 2 times, 1 sc into each of the next 5 sts, sc dec. (20 sts).

Round 14--(1 sc into each of the next 3 sts, sc dec) 4 times. (16 sts).

Round 15--1 sc into each st around. (16 sts).

Round 16-- sc dec 8 times. (8 sts).

Fasten off with a 10" tail.  Using yarn needle, thread yarn tail through the front loop of the remaining 8 sts and pull tight.  Weave in ends.


(**Note--The rounds 13-16 were copied from Mrs. Murdock's Mittens Pattern. In the preschool section)


Adding the thumb:

Attach yarn. Single crochet in each sc around. Do this until thumb is about the length you want.  I did two rows.  Then I did a row of decreasing, sc dec into every two stitches around. Finishing off with a couple of sc dec, fasten off, leaving a tail of yarn to thread through the front loop, pull tightly closed and weave in ends.  When weaving in thread, I weaved around the crotch of the thumb and mitten to reinforce that place.


Making the eye:

Round 1--start with magic circle.  4 sc into magic circle.  You can slip stitch to first or use this method for changing yarn colors, which I prefer.

Round 2--With brown yarn attached, 2 sc into each st.

Round 3--With white yarn attached, 2 hdc into first st, 1 hdc into next 2 sts. Repeat around.

Round 4--With white gray yarn attached, 2 sc in next 2 sts, then 2 sc in 1 stitch. Repeat around. Sl st to beginning sc.

Round 5--Sl st into each sc around.  Fasten off. leaving a long tail.  I use this tail to sew the eye onto the mitten, stitching around the inner portion of the gray rim.

Stitch a mouth on your mitten with black yarn.  Weave in and clip all ends.


Both left and right mittens are made the same.  Just make sure before attaching eyes and stitching on mouth, that you have the correct side of the mitten. I just laid them before me in left hand and right hand, to make sure I didn't end up making two left or two right with sewing the eyes on the wrong side of one.  :)

Hope you enjoy! And if you find any errors, please let me know.  I'm not a crochet pattern writer or have any experience with making such alterations. I'm just a mom, who tried her best to make some cute minion mittens.

Send me photos if you make these.  I'd love to see!



1 comment:

  1. Yeah! You altered a pattern to fit your needs. I'm so proud of you. It wasn't as difficult as you thought, right? I love how those mittens turned out and the hat and mittens together, Wow!

    ReplyDelete